This panoramic photograph of Portland Head Light was taken by James Blakeway. John Hancock first authorized construction of this 80-foot light in 1784. Delayed by insufficient funds, construction didn't begin until 1790. On January 10, 1791, George Washington appointed its first keeper. Portland Head was Maine 's first lighthouse and marks the state's busiest harbor, boasting historic significance and beauty, which make it possibly the most visited lighthouse in America. Worthy of note, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the celebrated American poet, found the peaceful beauty of the lighthouse well suited to writing poetry, choosing to write here often.